Tuesday, May 3, 2011

A Crocheter who....knits?


I can vividly remember my Great Grandma Helene teaching me to crochet in front of the Christmas tree when I was younger than 8 years old. And I've made several crocheted items. A couple afghans, scarves, hats, doilies, etc. However, as I did some of the last couple projects, my wrist started to pop as I did it. Not exactly comfortable...

So I pretty much stopped that type of crafting and moved into other needle crafts such as cross stitching which doesn't require so much wrist action. I'd never considered knitting though....until....one day, I came across a Sock knitting book at the library, brought it home and decided I needed to give it a try. I had no idea where to start until I found out that a friend of mine, Phoebe, is a knitting expert....seriously, you should see her creations.

Anyway, she volunteered to teach me and so I showed up with a skein of yarn and lots of excitement.

Phoebe mentioned while I was there for my first class a site called www.ravelry.com
It's like Facebook for knitters and crocheters. How ridiculous is it that I'd never even heard of it!? Anyway, this site is SO FUN!!! It has tons of free patterns and the best search filters ever that allow you to find EXACTLY what you are looking for. From needle/hook size to yarn weight and difficulty level. So I went home, found an easy scarf pattern I wanted to try and got going on it.

And I'm still working on it but what I really want to do....is socks, remember? So I figured a hat would be a good start but not quite as complex as a pair of socks.

Well, with all the mistakes and imperfections in it, I still LOVE how it turned out. Plus, my wrist doesn't bother me AT ALL when I'm knitting! It's so nice to work with yarn again.

Plus, I can't wait to put it on my new little ones head in the next 2 WEEKS!!!! I mean, can you believe it? He's almost here!

2 comments:

Matt and Alissa said...

That is pretty cute. Way to go!

mallorymallorah said...

Great job. You're so talented Jenni! Ps I can't believe he will be here in 2 weeks :)