Tuesday, December 30, 2008

How rude!

So, it starts out as a normal day at Target with a newborn and a two year old. Bear is sleeping like an angel in his car seat and Connor is insisting that he push the massive cart without any help. I'm gently trying to steer the cart without him noticing that I'm touching it. We narrowly miss several racks and unsuspecting customers. And then, in the middle of the aisle, Connor doesn't want to go any further and doesn't want me to go either. Too bad for him, right? So I start pushing the cart and here it comes....TANTRUM in TARGET! So I continue to walk away, turning back to try and entice him to come with me. He refuses, so I continue to walk away(of course, keeping an eye on him the entire time....I'm not a negligent parent!). When I get a little ways from him, this guy comes up to me and with an attitude says, "You could go back there and pick him up instead of walking away from him." I won't go through all of the things that I spat back at him but I can tell you that a crowd started to form and watch the excitement. After the excitement ended when I told him to leave, a nice older lady came up to me and said that I was doing the right thing and that she, as a teacher, sees far too many children whose parents never taught discipline. It made me feel good that she thought I was doing the right thing. Also, it's important to include that while she and I were chatting...Connor slowly made his way back to my side. What a good boy!

Moral: Don't tell a native New Yorker Mom of two children how to parent her two year old unless she asks for your input. You will be asking for a scene.

1 comments:

Jason and Lis Day said...

I love you! Darn right!