Monday, April 26, 2010

Snazzy Accent Chairs

I'm not a big sewer AT ALL. But the uses of a sewing machine are plentiful and when Sam found me a sewing machine for my birthday a year and a half ago, I was very very grateful. Since then I've bound a few quilts with it and made some nursing covers to sell. However, all of those projects were really simple and rather boring.

Last week at DI, I found two very classy chairs for $6 a piece. The covers on them were trashed but I just thought I might be able to figure out a way to reupholster them so we picked them up.


We were planning on getting a new living room set for our den but haven't because the room is kind of an awkward shape and finding the right set up for us has been challenging. These chairs are the perfect solution. It gives us the seating we want without all of the space being taken up with a loveseat.

Here is the semi-finished chair. The finishing touches of sewing on the velcro and seaming the edges are all that's left. All major seams and pieces are sewed together....and it ACTUALLY FITS!


I'm rather impressed with myself, I must admit. Now I only have one chair left to do! The goal is to have it done by Saturday for our Open House.....

3 comments:

LiMb FaMiLy said...

WOW! That chair looks fab! :) That's awesome that you just figured that out, I wish I had a talent to do that. :) I'm hoping we will make it to your open house, we are actually in the speedy process of trying to buy our own house! :) haha, it came up real quick and we are trying to get everything done so we can get that first time home buyers credit...anyways....if we can't make it we will definitely come visit next time we are down that way!

Bonnie said...

Great job! - It's impressive and so are you!

Shan said...

Awesome! That is really cool to learn to put a new covering on chairs and learn more about sewing. I'd like to see photos when you get your dining room all put together, too.