Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Emergency 9-1-1!!!!!!


On Saturday, I got to accompany a few boys from our Cub Scout Pack to an Emergency 9-1-1 Preparedness event.  It was quite a day!  I think the boys had a good time and I got to do some things that I'd never done before.  To open the day they had TWO helicopter shows simultaneously!  The State Trooper helicopter was 
already on the ground when we got there. Right after opening ceremonies the AirMed helicopter landed and the State Trooper helicopter lifted off. 


 It was so awesome to watch!
 After that spectacle, we started off with shooting fire hoses at targets, very fun! In the morning it wasn't too hot out so we didn't even consider sprayi
ng ourselves.....but as the day wore on, it got up to about 101 degrees!

Next we got to explore some police cars and learn some of their secrets!
Then we did a firemans relay where the boys got to roll up the firehose, carry an "injured" person, dress up like fireman and do a water brigade line.
Next we learned more about Search and Rescue and how to stay put if you ever get separated from your group while in the wilderness.
After lunch, we got a tour of the County Sheriff's Mobile Command Center.  We would've had the opportunity after that to tour the AirMed helicopter but unfortunately they had an emergency to tend to while we were on our lunch break....a big bummer for both the boys and me! So instead, the boys got to play on the playground for a while.

The next station was another Fire Departments and they had a really neat obstacle course with the end obstacle being to spray a target with a hose......this is where it got interesting!  The boys were having fun spraying each other as the leaders were looking at them dying of heat and thinking to themselves, "that looks like it feels good!"
So I waved at the fireman helping the boys and asked for a little squirt....well, somehow he missed the little and we all ended up soakedGood Going, JENNI!
Luckily, it felt really good and I was able to shield the camera that was in my hands from the water!

Next, at the same station, I got volunteered to get all dressed up as a fireman and run the obstacle course....tubes and all!  It was soooo hot! But I'm glad that I can say that I did it.

Lastly, we got to see the inside of an Ambulance and learn about the equipment they use regularly and what 3 things are needed when you call 9-1-1.  Just in case you don't know, they are: Your Address, What Happened, and Your Phone Number.
It was a really fun event and I think the boys learned a lot of fun new things as did I!

2 comments:

Matt and Alissa said...

Wow! That sounds like a really great scout activity and it sounds like there was fun to be had by all.

Shay said...

Thanks for all you do for the boys!!